Monday, July 24, 2006

If only I had known....

Randi is up to her tricks again...

It's Let's Get Real Monday---Bad Hair Day

If only I was up to speed in Blogger Playland, I'm sure I would have won this challenge HANDS DOWN!!

Yesterday, the heavens opened up - it poured and poured and poured!

I stayed after church, working on the worship slides.

Well, when I finally looked up from the computer, I was the only one left in the church.

I looked out into the parking lot....not a car in sight. Everyone had gone and left me behind.

And it was pouring - sopping - soaking - buckets and buckets - raining cats and dogs, as the proverbial saying goes.

I had to walk home. We live just across the road from the church, but by the time I got there, I was drenched! Believe me, I was a source of great amusement to everyone when I walked through the door.

But...

If only I had known about Randi's challenge I would have seized the moment and said, "Grab the camera and take a picture!"

Trust me - my family would have been astonished!!

This mom never gets a picture taken on a bad hair day. That's why there is none to post. If a bad hairdo is captured inadvertently on film, the evidence has been known to disappear....

I have had a long and turbulent history with my hair...

From the brushing of long, blonde, curly ringlets, (tears and tantrums)

To the bushy "I can't get a brush through it" teen years, (tears and tantrums)

To the "keep it short, I can't do anything with it” adult years. *sigh*

I'm sure I have purchased every straightening product on the market and applied it with unflagging optimism and foolish naiveté. And I have never been really pleased with the outcome.

*sigh*

Although Anne of Green Gables lifelong burden was hair colour rather than texture, I identify deeply with her in this depressing conversation with Marilla.

“… Did you ever know of anybody whose hair was red (replace red with curly and unruly) when she was young, but got to be another color (texture) when she grew up?"

"No, I don't know as I ever did," said Marilla mercilessly, "and I shouldn't think it likely to happen in your case either."

Anne sighed. (double sigh)

"Well, that is another hope gone. `My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes."

Although I have buried the hope of sleek, silky, smooth tresses and have reached an uneasy truce with my curly locks, those who know me well can tell when I am really feeling sick - I don't have the energy to make a "fuss" about my hair :)

So now you know why I am disappointed - I have missed my Golden Opportunity - a chance to let my hair finally work for me!

I'm disappointed... I mean it!! The courage to stand in front of a camera in natural bad hair state *shudder* could have been a turning point - a defining moment - a quantum leap in the quest to get real - really real...

oh well, maybe next time....

(but don't hold your breath)

Randi got ahead of me by posting this picture – I think he might do for my understudy!

In lieu of a personal picture, I submit this entry into Randi's Get Real Bad Hair Day Challenge. This kitty does not look as wet or bedraggled as I was yesterday, but her expression is a perfect facsimile.