Thursday, May 25, 2006

Apple blossom time on the Island

“Welcome, my friend. It is a very beautiful evening. The sky is so blue and the apple blossoms so sweet. The wind and I have been here alone together and the wind is a good companion, but still I am glad to see you.
It is an evening on which it is good to be alive and to wander in an orchard that is fine and white...” 1


"...Just think what a lovely place to live--in an apple blossom! Fancy going to sleep in it when the wind was rocking it. If I wasn't a human girl I think I'd like to be a bee and live among the flowers..." 2














In 1945, my father asked for my mother's hand in marriage as they danced to this song...

"I'll be with you in apple blossom time
I'll be with you to change your name to mine
one day in May I'll come and say
happy the bride the sunshine's on today
what a wonderful wedding day there will be
what a wonderful day for you and me
church bells will chime
you will be mine
in apple blossom time
what a wonderful wedding day there will be
one day in May
what a very very wonderful day
for you and me dear
church bells will chime
you will be mine
in apple, in apple blossom time..."














1. Ch. 8 Kilmeny of the Orchard
2. Ch. 7 Anne of Green Gables