Friday, February 24, 2006

Resolutions



I have an aversion to announcing resolutions in January

(which leads to a pet peeve - why is January spelled January while February is spelled February?? I and countless primary students want to know)

The reason I avoid announcing New Year resolutions is because I don't stick to them and that has become an uncomfortable reminder of
  1. my lack of discipline
  2. my inability to resist the popular tide of wishful thinking symbolized by a new year.

Not that I am against New Year's - new month's - new week's - or even new morning's resolutions.

Resolutions are part of our Christian life. We are called to examine our lives (confession) and, with the help of Christ, resolve to change (repentance).

I just have an aversion to announcing them in January.

However I have no such hesitations in February.

The resolution frenzy is over.

So here goes...


I resolved to have a theme in my devotional life this year...

*for one whole year
I am going to
think
read
and
pray
about what it means to
gaze
on
Jesus Christ*

It is nearing the end of Feb. and I am still concentrating on this one theme so it's safe to announce it. Perhaps I will think about it for the rest of my life. It's a rich topic.

I am challenged by this theme - it is easier for me to study the book of Philippians or the sovereignty of God.

This theme is much more than acquiring knowledge about Christ.

This is about intimacy - about contemplation - about transformation.

Moses, the friend of God, was so transformed by his encounter with God that the Israelites could not bear to look at the light on his face. He was radiant with the glory of God.

"How will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?" 2 Cor. 3:8

Doesn't that challenge you? More glorious than Moses who had to hide his face because the light was so unnerving to the Israelites?

The passage goes on to say:
"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect [or contemplate] the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Cor.3:18

We are in a process of transformation.

We are becoming like Jesus-

not waiting for heaven when our transformation will certainly be complete, but ever-increasing - now - this day - this moment - in the reflection of His glory.

Isn't the contemplation of that topic worth one year - worth one lifetime - worth eternity?

I resolve to think so...