Monday, January 09, 2006

Light

The sun is shining this morning - which is very welcome on this little Island in "the true North strong and free". It's amazing how my heart lifts when I see a beam of sunlight slanting through my kitchen window.

I've been thinking about light...

I don't mind the cold of winter, in fact I like it - it's invigorating - and I love to play in the snow. But sometimes the early darkness can be trying to the spirit. So I long for light - for sunshine.

Now that we've passed the solstice we are gaining a few minutes of sunlight every day. Although it is still dark when I get up, I notice that there are bands of light at the edge of the horizon.

Every sunrise has a special beauty but there is nothing like the sun rising through a hoar frost. The sky is so clear and the air so still - the frost reflects the sun's light on every branch and twig - so radiant. This exquisite beauty fills me with unspeakable longing and wonder - and praise to the Creator of such loveliness.
"For God, who said,
'Let light shine out of darkness,'
made His light shine in our hearts
to give us the light of the
knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ."

Now that is a subject worth lifelong contemplation...the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. I long to be filled with that light given by the Father - the Light of the world - Jesus Christ.

I want to be daily cheered, encouraged and strengthened by gazing on His face and walking in the light of His presence. I want to long for Him so much more than I long for sunlight in the long, dark winters or any other created thing.

A good resolution/prayer for 2006 and every year to come.



picture credit - Rinda Dean