Thursday, May 04, 2006

I want to catch you...


reading that is...

May is Get Caught Reading Month and as a teacher-librarian I can't ignore that!!

I promised you a while back that I would start an "adult" reading list - but I have to admit that I have a hard time to find really good - clean - compelling - fiction for adults. So many times I start a book and I have to put it down because I'm not interested in reading about their bedroom life...

So I need your help - let's compile a list together. Share with me your favourite fiction adult books. We have a plethora of good non-fiction books in the Christian writing circles but not so much fiction.

And I don't want you to restrict yourself to "Christian" fiction - what is that anyway??? I'm always amused at the Christian fiction stickers that are on the book spines at our public library - I often wonder who is responsible for the designation!!

I'm hoping you will include classics - like Tolstoy - newer authors like Jan Karon. Don't forget your favourite Dickens book. Mine is Bleak House. Of course LM Montgomery - I wouldn't classify her solely as a children's author. Christy by Catherine Marshall is a heart-warmer. And if you want a gentle read - the kind of book that you can read before bedtime without worrying about getting so caught up that you are awake until 2, then try Miss Read's books - a series about a teacher in a small English village. If you are in a more adventurous mood try PD James mysteries or Martha Grimes - a mystery series with a Dicken's flair.

It's storytime for the big kids - what books are on your list?